Speakers will be announced in July.
2012 speakers included
Will Chase – High Priest of Propaganda, Burning Man
Melody Chu – Director of Customer Support, Mixbook
Alan Dunton – Partner , TriplePoint PR
Tiffany Gaines – Lead Community and Social Media Manager, Voxer
Maya Grinberg – Chief Evangelist, Wildfire
Robin Harper – VP, Customer Strategy, Catch.com
Kristen McGorry – Head of Community, Maxis
Ron Meiners – Director of Community, Sims, Electronic Arts
Izzy Neis – Vice President of User Engagement, Fight My Monster
Terry Redfield – CCO/Founder, Real Life Plus
Erik Reynolds – Sr. Director Public Relations, EA Maxis, Electronic Arts
Ellen Steuer – Community Management and Social Design Consultant, formerly Gazillion, Disney
Ingrid Vining – Community Manager, Skylanders Universe, Activision
Rich Weil – VP of Client Services, Metaverse Mod Squad
Regine Weiner – Vice President of Professional Services, Metaverse Mod Squad
Sarah Wulfeck – Digital Media Consultant, Formerly National Producer and Social Media Strategist for CBS News
- Will Chase – High Priest of Propaganda, Burning Man
As a long-time member of Burning Man’s communications team, Will Chase is responsible for Burning Man’s community management efforts, through which he keeps the worldwide community of Burners connected and inspired year-round, while expanding the global reach of Burning Man culture. He writes and edits the Jackrabbit Speaks Email Newsletter, the Burning Blog, and the content for the Burning Man website and print publications. He also oversees Burning Man’s social networking presence on the ePlaya, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and more, while providing guidance for Burning Man’s 192+ global Regional Network contacts in their social networking efforts.
- Melody Chu – Director of Customer Support, Mixbook
- Melody’s first experience with community management was as a volunteer
moderator for Neopets in summer of 2000. She eventually entered into a
career in the game industry, serving as a Customer Service Lead for
Gazillion Entertainment. Now the Director of Customer Support for
Mixbook, Melody works with an amazing, talented team who helps
customers create custom photobooks, cards and calendars with some of
their most cherished possessions – their photographs. Melody helped
scale the support team from three people in 2010 to over 30 by the end
of 2011, while implementing specialized teams to launch live chat,
phone & social media support.Melody studied Literature at UC Santa Cruz, enjoys snowboarding and
has yet to meet her match when it comes to eating spicy food.
- Alan Dunton – Partner , TriplePoint PR
- Alan has focused his career on creating marketing and communications
campaigns for technology and entertainment companies. At TriplePoint,
he works closely with account teams to produce integrated programs
that deliver high-quality, measurable results. Prior to joining
TriplePoint, Alan was Bigpoint’s director of public relations for
North America, responsible for introducing the German-based company to
this market. Before Bigpoint, Alan managed communications and
marketing at Multiverse, a technology start-up that developed a
platform for MMO and virtual world companies. He began his career on
the agency side — including stints at Fleishman-Hillard, Burson
Marsteller, Golin Harris, Porter Novelli, and Copithorne & Bellows —
where he supported technology companies of every size and shape. Alan
graduated from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a B.S. in journalism.
- Tiffany Gaines – Lead Community and Social Media Manager, Voxer
- Tiffany has been with Voxer since early 2008 and has led the community team from day one. She, along with her team, has grown an engaged community comprised of millions of users which has contributed significantly to the Voxer brand. Tiffany has developed, implemented and optimized best practices of internal/external community processes to improve user engagement and assess user behavior. She believes strongly in being an advocate for users; a key element to building a thriving community.With a degree and background in fashion, Tiffany has spent the early parts of her career as an image consultant for notable companies such as Marc Jacobs and Nordstrom. She has lived in San Francisco since 2004 and enjoys spending her free time perusing vintage apparel and furniture, watching old movies at the Castro Theatre and dining about town at the wide array of tasty eateries the city has at its disposal.
- Maya Grinberg – Chief Evangelist, Wildfire
- As Chief Evangelist, Maya Grinberg is the voice of Wildfire. Her specialty is educating brands and businesses about the best practices and winning strategies of social media marketing. She has organically grown Wildfire’s social properties into the most engaged fan communities within the industry, with over 145,000 fans on Facebook and 25,000 on Twitter. As a result, Wildfire owns over 90% of the engagement occurring in fan communities around social media marketing.Maya is the producer of Wildfire’s popular monthly webinar series, which has drawn over 30,000 registrations in 2012. Wildfire’s latest webinar, done in partnership with Advertising Age, became a U.S. trending topic on Twitter during the live event. In addition to writing the Wildfire blog, Maya’s writing has appeared in the Huffington Post, Social Media Examiner, Social Media Today, and Business2Community. Her report about Wildfire’s study on the effect of Timelines for brands received coverage in Forbes, TechCrunch, Mashable, ClickZ, and a variety of trade journals.Maya has presented at the Clinton Foundation, the American Marketing Association (AMA), Social Media Camp, and the Social Media Strategies Summit. Prior to Wildfire, Maya worked at IBM in the Strategy and Transformation group, and at TechCrunch, on the CrunchBase property. She is a graduate of Cornell University.
- Robin Harper – VP, Customer Strategy, Catch.com
- Robin Harper works at the cutting edge of customer experience, where online community joins communication and customer relations to drive a new type of brand creation. Currently with mobile app developer Catch.com, Harper is responsible for building the Catch brand through digital and social marketing programs. Prior to Catch, Robin was VP Marketing with Linden Lab where she led the emergence of the Second Life brand, including all marketing and community development. Earlier in her career Robin was the Vice President of Marketing at Maxis where she established SimCity as one of the most recognized brand names in entertainment software. In addition to Maxis and Linden Lab, Harper has held senior marketing positions in the fields of online education, entertainment and advertising. She holds an MBA in marketing from the University of Chicago.
- URL: https://catch.com/
- Kristen McGorry – Head of Community, Maxis
- bio coming soon.
- Ron Meiners – Director of Community, Sims, Electronic Arts
- Ron Meiners has worked in a wide range of social media and online community applications, from casual games to virtual worlds, from Myst and the Sims to a volunteer position as the Online Community Advocate for the Burning Man organization. He is passionate about the potential for new communicative technologies to foster relationships between participants and to open the range of experiences to collaborative creativity and accomplishment, partnerships with consumer content creators, and the evolution of social organization. He is committed to the exploration of new forms of interaction and collaboration online, and the evolving relationship between consumer communities and host brands. He was a founder of Electron Wave, a startup focused on trust and reputation in online social networks and most recently has been in the role of Director of Community for the Sims at Maxis. He is currently consulting, working on a book on community and social media, and seeking new opportunities for creating vibrant and successful communities.
- Izzy Neis – Vice President of User Engagement, Fight My Monster
- Izzy Neis is a published author, a leading voice in the online safety movement for youth, a professional blogger on social media at izzyneis.com, and has spent the last few years helping brands build community and super engagement online.Izzy has worked with children for over 15 years, and has held positions in education, marketing, user design, game design, brand management, online safety and privacy, and writing for both cartoons and books.Aside from co-creating Creativity Robot (a youth-centric social media consultancy), Izzy is the Vice President of User Engagement at Everloop, a social network for youth that incorporates social learning (curiosity) and safe online interactivity. In the past, Izzy was the Director of User Engagement of Gazillion Entertainment. At Gazillion, she developed community initiatives, legal and safety policy, built departments of well-trained moderation and customer service staff, and developed, implemented, and managed a variety of social media strategies for multiple games and brands. Prior to Gazillion, Izzy was the Sr. Community Manager for Six Degrees Games, a sports-brand virtual world company in Marina Del Rey, California, and the User Engagement Manager at Star Farm Productions, a children’s transmedia entertainment company.
- Terry Redfield – CCO/Founder, Real Life Plus
- Terry Redfield has always had a love affair with social media and video games. At age 15, she helped test and create content for text based online communities called BBSs, MUDs, and MOOs, until the birth of graphical virtual worlds called Massively Multiplayer Online Games or MMOs. She spent over 5 years immersed in one of the first MMO’s, Everquest, leading and organizing over 300 users at a time for the test server design staff.After completing her Bachelor’s Degree in Design at San Jose State, she started her career in games at 3DO in 1996, and has designed and created art for AAA titles ranging from the highly stylized, award winning game “Psychonauts” to more realistic and casual online projects like “vMTV”.
- Erik Reynolds – Sr. Director Public Relations, EA Maxis, Electronic Arts
- A dedicated and passionate fan of the games, entertainment and tech industries, Reynolds has 13 focused years of experience as a leader in brand, product and corporate communications, providing counsel to the highest level throughout the organizations he has had the pleasure to serve. He has been directly responsible for overall strategic direction and led a large staffs of publicists based in NA, Europe and APAC. He is a partnership and content creation champion with creative results like the Spike TV television program – “50 Cent Bulletproof: Behind the hood” which he executive produced – http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2706929/.In his career he has worked some of the industry’s greatest creative luminaries, iconic franchises, biggest hardware launches and just about every genre, platform and business model of game.Based at Electronic Arts Redwood Shores, Erik resides in Pacific Heights, is married, and owns a very fat cat named Stan.
Favorite video games: Swtor (PC), World of Warcraft (PC), Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360), Drop 7 (mobile) and most board games.
- Ellen Steuer – Community Management and Social Design Consultant, formerly Gazillion, Disney
- Ellen Steuer is a community management consultant with special interest in social game design. At Disney, she was Community Manager for Toontown Online, the award-winning massively multiplayer game for kids and families. She then leveraged her community expertise as a Producer on Disney Fairies Pixie Hollow, Disney’s first avatar-based, kid-safe social network, and Pirates of the Caribbean Online. Prior to joining Disney, she launched the community for StarTrek.com (where she never, ever pulled a Shatner by telling the community to “get a life”) and served as Community Producer for Fox.com. She also worked for Gazillion Entertainment. She has a BA in Visual Communication from Mills College.
- Ingrid Vining – Community Manager, Skylanders Universe, Activision
- Ingrid Vining is a community manager with a career focus on kids online games. Currently, she is the community manager of Skylanders Universe – a game in which kids bring their Skylander toys to life in an online adventure. In this role, Ingrid advocates on behalf of the community and works closely with the production/design teams, working together to ensure that the user experience is player-focused and super fun. Prior to working at Activision, she worked at Disney Interactive Media Group as a community manager for products including DisneyXD.com and Tron Games. Before that, she began her career in the community management field at Six Degrees Games on Action AllStars. Before working for online kids products, Ingrid was a school librarian at a K-8 school. She has a BA in English from Kenyon College.URL: http://universe.skylanders.com/
- Rich Weil – VP of Client Services, Metaverse Mod Squad
- Rich Weil is the Vice President of Client Services at Metaverse Mod Squad, where he is responsible for project startup and management, client services and business development. Prior to joining Metaverse, Rich held positions building and managing Community Relations and Customer Service teams at NCsoft, Kaneva and Cartoon Network. A long-time MMO enthusiast, Rich is a consistent advocate of new ways to engage online communities that blend Community Relations and Customer Support. He is a frequent speaker at major industry events, including the Game Developers Conference, SXSW, LOGIN Conference, and Engage! Prior to joining the game industry in 2004, Rich obtained a degree in Military History from the University of Texas and worked in Human Resources and Management, including as HR Director for a software development consultancy in Austin, TX.
- Regine Weiner – Vice President of Professional Services, Metaverse Mod Squad
- Regine specializes in consulting and management projects for launching, monetizing, and servicing online products and games. Her unique expertise comes from a decade of success in the game industry, where she has focused on bringing new products online through the use of proper strategies, toolsets, analytics and leveraging great customer support and moderation teams. Her career began on I-Sun’s Virtual Student Union and has included positions with the VR Studio at Disney, Cartoon Network, Gazillion Entertainment, and most recently, as the Director of Operations for Nickelodeon Kids and Family Virtual Worlds. She is a frequent panelist at game industry events and resides in Los Angeles. She received a B.A. from Temple University in Film and Media Arts.
- Sarah Wulfeck – Digital Media Consultant, Formerly National Producer and Social Media Strategist for CBS News
- Sarah Wulfeck is a private digital media consultant with over 15 years of online content strategy experience. She was one of the pioneering web journalers/cam-girls in the mid-90s to early 00s internet, and has concurrently boasted a variety of experiences in the entertainment industry including performing video game character voices for SEGA’s Sonic The Hedgehog series and background acting on the “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” television series. She recently worked as the Director of the Content and Community group at Beyond Digital Agency, and prior to that was the National Producer and Social Media Strategist for CBS News. She holds a BFA in Dramatic Writing from the Tisch School of the Arts, at New York University, and an MA in Journalism and Mass Communication, also from NYU.
- Twitter: @skwulf